Apr 24, 2024, 08:53 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

emil's dalek

Started by atomicgraph, Oct 15, 2009, 11:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

Oct 15, 2009, 11:13 am Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 02:27 pm by Scarfwearer
a long time ago i saw kb's eyes thread and when i read that he was building a dalek i was blown away his eye stalk looked great and very alien.... and i thought wow, you can build a dalek? so i thought i'd give it a try. i built an eye stalk (it took a couple of tries) and then it sat on a shelf for about a year. i've recently started back working on it and here is what i've got so far

brightereyestalk.th.jpg

here is my eye stalk it needs painting and the pivot at the back needs to be replaced, and i still need to add the little bolts to it

eyestalkdark.th.jpg

i've put a light in the eye, looks pretty cool better than these photos

dalek01.th.jpg

and here is where i'm at so far fender skirt and shoulders are started and finally i feel like i'm getting somewhere with the build

dalekback.th.jpg

the back

sideviewa.th.jpg

and a side view i think i may have built the back of the shoulder sections to vertical but maybe i can make it "appear" a little slanted once i get all the banding and slats on
i cut out paper gun boxes to help guide me on the shoulder details once i get the bottom bands on the shoulder i'll replace them with these

gunboxes.th.jpg

well thats where i'm at with it so far and let me say a dalek is surprisingly  big

atomicgraph

Nov 09, 2009, 11:43 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 08:59 pm by Scarfwearer
i fiddled around with the dalek this week end and here is where i'm at with it.... it's an nsd but i'm gonna go with a genesis style paint job for it instead of the gold.
shouldersandhemis.th.jpg

atomicgraph

mostly just testing the board but here is my shoulder section. not spot accurate but good enough for me. lots of filing and sanding left to do.
shouldertouchups.th.jpg

chriskingbees

Hi Emil
That is looking fab' ol' son. NSD in Genesis (Or more llike Destiny, if the photo is accurate) grey and black livery.
To think, little ol' Elsie was the insipration for this mighty beast. What a compliment.
Great stuff
KB

atomicgraph

Jan 30, 2010, 01:43 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:16 pm by Scarfwearer
thanks kb. yep ol Elsie was the inspiration the skirt section is just the primer coat i'm no where near the finial paint job yet

metrosonus

Oct 15, 2009, 12:55 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:14 pm by scarfwearer
is that a new series? That looks really nice, I love the eye stalk.

purpleblancmange

Oct 15, 2009, 04:09 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:14 pm by scarfwearer
That's a great looking NSD you have there - have you been following any particular plans for this or have you been "eye balling" it?  Looks good either way... seeing yours makes me think that I ought to finish mine, I have three in the garage waiting for me to do something with them.

Hope to see more in due course.

atomicgraph

Oct 15, 2009, 10:00 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:15 pm by scarfwearer
thanks guys yep its a new series version i chose that style mostly because it looks like "it means business"

purp the plans i'm using are from the project dalek site  but it really does turn into eyeballing on some parts. hey posts some pics of them, i'd love to see what you've got i'm not sure i'd tackle 3 of them one is enough for me and i'm hoping that it'll be finished by this time next year

worzel

Oct 15, 2009, 10:15 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: emil on Oct 15, 2009, 10:00 pmi'm hoping that it'll be finished by this time next year

thats what i told my kids at the begining of my build (3 years ago)-lol

atomicgraph

Oct 16, 2009, 02:45 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: worzel on Oct 15, 2009, 10:15 pm

thats what i told my kids at the begining of my build (3 years ago)-lol

man i've got a year under my belt on it already on it :P. by the way your dalek is gonna be awesome i've only moulded pebble glass before with casting resin (pretty simple to use and the only fiber glassing i've done is just reinforcing the joins so far), i hope my moulds come out half as good as yours.

worzel

Oct 16, 2009, 11:25 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 02:15 pm by scarfwearer
I'm sure they will.

feel free to ask me any questions on grp or dimensions if you need to, as I've pestered a lot of good people over my 3 year journey to get this far - lol

atomicgraph

dalek,stack.jpg

here,is,where,im,at,so,far

sorry,for,the,commas,but,the,key,board,on,this,computer,had,a,drink,spilled,on,it,and,the,right,side,is,broken :'(

geminitimelord

Quote from: atomicgraph on Feb 27, 2010, 12:12 am
dalek,stack.jpg

here,is,where,im,at,so,far

sorry,for,the,commas,but,the,key,board,on,this,computer,had,a,drink,spilled,on,it,and,the,right,side,is,broken :'(

wow,emil,that,looks,awesome, ;D

atomicgraph

thank,you,sir,you,wouldnt,believe,how,much,filling,and,sanding,ive,had,to,do....i,think,the,whole,month,of,january,i,spent,
covered,in,sawdust

atomicgraph

stack.jpg

well here is what my dalek is lookin like so far. the dome turned out awful so i'm gonna need to recast it. this picture is heavily staged the eye stalk is just wedged in for the photo.