Apr 20, 2024, 02:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Double Yardley Jones Model Build

Started by lorisarvendu, Jul 17, 2010, 10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Jul 17, 2010, 10:21 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2012, 09:08 am by lorisarvendu
I've built two models so far based on the Yardley Jones prop from 1981 onwards, and I have quite a fondness for that particular style of TARDIS.  Unfortunately both of them were for other people, so all I have is the photos.  I'd like one myself.

So back in April I decided to build two models in parallel, one for a friend, and one for me.

Due to a combination of Real Life intervening, and fatigue after cutting out eight TARDIS sides and sixteen (sixteen!!) windows, the whole project stalled for a couple of months. Then towards the middle of June I took a long run at it and managed to get started again.

I've now got past the hurdle of the windows and the panels and making sure the whole thing is straight, so I thought I'd post some progress on here.  I've documented the build a bit more on the web - http://www.spacewarp.co.uk/who/YPD-DoubleBuild1.htm - but here's a couple of shots of this weekend's work.

How to make sure you can't shine a light in and see the inside of the box:
YPD-Duo-06.JPG

Corner post method:
YPD-Duo-12.JPG

Bevelling or beading or whatever it's called:
YPD-Duo-14.JPG

YPD-Duo-15.JPG

With the bases attached:
YPD-Duo-16.JPG

kiwidoc

livens

You are really skilled with a razor!

I looked through your webpage and found your: "Build 1 - The  First Met Build". That's the best model Tardis Ive ever seen! The detail that went into the roof was unbelievable.

Do you have an estimate of how long it takes to build a Tardis this way?

lorisarvendu

Jul 18, 2010, 10:42 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2014, 09:19 am by lorisarvendu
Quote from: livens on Jul 18, 2010, 12:33 am
You are really skilled with a razor!

I looked through your webpage and found your: "Build 1 - The  First Met Build". That's the best model Tardis Ive ever seen! The detail that went into the roof was unbelievable.

Do you have an estimate of how long it takes to build a Tardis this way?

Thanks for those kind comments, though I consider my first build to be the worst, and the one where I made (and learned from) most of my mistakes!

How long does it take to build one of these models?  Funny you should ask that, as a couple of years ago I decided to see if I could build one in a week.  Did I manage it?

Well, any excuse to add another page to Spacewarp, so you'll have to go here to find out:   ;D

http://www.spacewarp.co.uk/who/7DayTARDIS1.htm

EDIT: page location changed on my web site.

geminitimelord

Very creative! At first I thought the interior was some structure brace but I see it now. Excellent way to keep from seeing thru to the other side!

I will be very interested to seeing the completed builds.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jul 18, 2010, 05:23 pm
Very creative! At first I thought the interior was some structure brace but I see it now. Excellent way to keep from seeing thru to the other side!

I will be very interested to seeing the completed builds.

Yeah, and the beauty of it is that it lets some light through, but in a very diffuse way.  So if you stick a light behind it you get a kind of impression of the inside lit up.

It also helps to "square-ize" the top and bottom, providing you make the diagonals the correct length according to an ancient and arcane formula (a² + b² = c²).

dreamland fantasy

@lorisarvendu

I've got to say, but I thought your tutorials were really good. So much so that you have inspired me to try and build one of my own. :)

I just started on Saturday, but I think I've made quite good progress so far considering I've never done this kind of thing before. I've made the four sides and the base plus a few other bits, but I had to stop because I did not have the necessary paint to paint the window frames. I've just bought some paint today, but I'll need to experiment to see what colour I like.

I like the idea of the cross to block out the light. I had been pondering the best way to do that myself as I didn't like the idea of painting the windows (although I did consider tinting them), but didn't want to have too much light coming though.

Kind regards,

Francis

lorisarvendu

Quote from: dreamland fantasy on Jul 19, 2010, 02:23 pm
@lorisarvendu

I've got to say, but I thought your tutorials were really good. So much so that you have inspired me to try and build one of my own. :)

I just started on Saturday, but I think I've made quite good progress so far considering I've never done this kind of thing before. I've made the four sides and the base plus a few other bits, but I had to stop because I did not have the necessary paint to paint the window frames. I've just bought some paint today, but I'll need to experiment to see what colour I like.

I like the idea of the cross to block out the light. I had been pondering the best way to do that myself as I didn't like the idea of painting the windows (although I did consider tinting them), but didn't want to have too much light coming though.

Kind regards,

Francis

If I've started someone off on the unholy path to a TARDIS-building obsession, then my work here is done.

Good luck with your build. If you want any pointers, don't forget to ask here.  Remember there's never a right or wrong way to do anything, just your way.  Each model I make is different as I discard methods I don't like and try new ones.  Oh, and don't use PVA glue - it's water-based and it can warp the card.

-Dave

lorisarvendu

Trying something new with the sign boxes.  Normally I build them up strip by strip directly onto the model, and then cut out the surround for the signs.  However this time I've built each box up separately.

YPD-Duo-18.JPG

The surround is now made by single 2mm strips glued on separately.

YPD-Duo-19.JPG

The ends of the strips are then sliced off and tidied up when the glue is dry, and the finished product glued onto the box.

YPD-Duo-20.JPG

dreamland fantasy

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jul 19, 2010, 05:04 pm
Good luck with your build. If you want any pointers, don't forget to ask here.  Remember there's never a right or wrong way to do anything, just your way.  Each model I make is different as I discard methods I don't like and try new ones.  Oh, and don't use PVA glue - it's water-based and it can warp the card.

-Dave

I read in your tutorials about the PVA glue so I avoided using it and thought that I would try Pritt Stick instead. It seems to be working quite well so far and actually sticks the card better than I was expecting.

I've been following your tutorials rather loosely as I kind of like to figure out how to do things myself. I've just looked over them for the initial getting started and possible pitfalls.

If I get a chance I'll start taking pictures and post them here.

Kind regards,

Francis

lorisarvendu

lorisarvendu

Jul 24, 2010, 01:35 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2010, 01:39 pm by lorisarvendu
A small update.  Although I have done a lot of work in the past few days, it's all fiddly little things that you wouldn't really notice, like the tops of the corner posts which take absolutely ages.  Plus the phone sign frame...and the central divider.

YPD-Duo-24.JPG

Oh and both roof stacks.  So maybe not that small an update after all.

YPD-Duo-28.JPG

lorisarvendu

Jul 25, 2010, 07:56 pm #12 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 11:33 am by Scarfwearer
Both roofs (or should that be rooves?) are on.

YPD-Duo-35.JPG

geminitimelord

Rooves Look Nice LOL...

I wish I could do this kind of small detail work. My freaking hands are too big!!

lorisarvendu

A word of warning about sign boxes. 

For my previous builds I've cut the sign box surround in one piece.  This time I decided to try it as I would build a full-size box - by gluing four strips on, thus:

YPD-Duo-19.JPG

A few days ago I noticed this.

YPD-Duo-39.JPG

I've since fixed a new one on, and smothered it in glue, but I think I'll revert to my previous method in future.  Card is just too flimsy.