Apr 23, 2024, 06:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The T55 console Mk2

Started by type55tardis, Mar 24, 2011, 06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type55tardis

Mar 24, 2011, 06:59 pm Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 06:43 am by type55tardis
I decided today to create a new T55 console,Ive been thinking about it for a good while,and started work,Ive cut the old console up and and harvested some of the parts to be incorporated into the new console so have a good look at the console in the regeneration topic because that's the last time you will see it ,I have used the original table top as it is in good condition and have made the first of the console panels ,I`m really looking forward to creating this new console and I`ll keep you informed
Here's a couple of pics of the experimental panel
SPM_A0029.jpgSPM_A0030.jpgSPM_A0031.jpg
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type55tardis

Mar 25, 2011, 11:36 am #1 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 am by Scarfwearer
I Had another go at the console this morning and made another 3 panels ,and edged off the console with aluminium edging to give a tidy finish ,I`m working nights tonight so I had to knock off at 11.30
Here's some update pics of the new panels and the edging as you can see its a lot less mushroom shaped than the original ,I was never totally happy with the shape of the old one and I have angled the panels on this at a lower level

SPM_A0032.jpgSPM_A0033.jpgSPM_A0034.jpgSPM_A0035.jpg

The panels still need a bit of shaping to meet up smoothly but I`m going to fit edgings between the panels any way , I`m undecided on a colour scheme up to now so any suggestions would be considered
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

lswl

Is it gonna have a theme?

type55tardis

Mar 26, 2011, 11:32 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011, 05:58 am by type55tardis
I`m going for a more traditional look this time , maybe a derivative of the later Tom Baker era with set panels doing set tasks I`d like to make some of the switches etc so that they look more old style tardis.

lswl

Quote from: type55tardis on Mar 26, 2011, 11:32 am
late Tom Baker era

Oi! Thants one of my favorites! (I really like the Tennant model though)

type55tardis

Mar 28, 2011, 07:57 am #5 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2011, 06:13 pm by type55tardis
Well after much debate the colour schemes have been whittled down to ,Light green (the original console colour) smoke or light grey or a grey metallic, and the central column to be built in the Davidson wedding cake style with one or two hints of Hartnell
Well ive decided on light green  G1.JPGg3.JPG I hope you like it all it needs now is the controls

rocket

Much nicer than the original, well done.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

lswl

Can't wait to see it finished!

type55tardis

I spent all day yesterday revamping the top of the console and creating switch boxes,as I`m going for a more traditional look (sort of hartnell/troughton/pertwee) unfortunately i had to wait for paint to dry and wood glue to dry  ::) so that slows you down ,I`m going to work on each panel individually rather than attack it all at once ,this may take a bit more time but should produce a better result in the end.And there won`t be any Christmas lights in this one ,I`ve ordered samples of knobs to be dotted around the console and the individual panels will be picked out in silver a la pertwee ,and a big dematerialisation lever is going to be in there somewhere LoL any how onwards and upwards
Hers a picture of the switch boxes in developmentswitch boxes.JPG

type55tardis

Mar 31, 2011, 02:08 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011, 10:42 am by type55tardis
Here's a quick mock up of the console,as you can see theres a fair bit to go mu 1.JPGmu 2.JPGmu 3.JPGmu 4.JPG still I`m having fun doing it and hey the empty column goes up and down!!

type_1012_tardis

You should add the big red "door" lever in there somewhere too!  I keep intending to put one on mine, but i think we all know how well that's going right now...  :(

BTW, what are you planning to do with the old timecolumn?
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type55tardis

Hi 1012 nice to hear from you ,Ive got a big round knob for the door control .its black at the moment but I`m pretty sure it will be red by the time it goes on ,I also got a big castellated lever knob for the demat control its not the Marconi type which Celation is using but it will do ,also Ive ordered some red plastic beads for the tops of the control levers which should look pretty good .
The interior of the central column is in storage in my shed at the moment I`m undecided what to do with it as it doesn't`t feature in the new plan ,the new central column is going to be a construct similar to the Davidson wedding cake,with a touch of hartnell and a fluorescent tube up the centre to give it a bit of life,I`ve currently constructed 8 small switch casings and 3 large lever casings I was using a steel grey paint on them but it was too dark and just looked like grey from a distance so I`ve changed to silver using smooth Hammerite which looks a lot better

type55tardis

Apr 04, 2011, 06:40 pm #12 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 06:42 pm by type55tardis
I`ve started the big lever switch boxes today and painted the smaller lever boxes in the hammerite silver I`m becoming a dab hand at the smaller boxes i can have one cut out and assembled in about 10 minutes , then of course comes the sanding and finishing off ,its much more satisfying doing them yourself rather than just buying something from maplins or RS ,I`m going to put in a feature seen on the exhibition console but you`ll have to wait and see  8)
here's some pics of the lever boxesbs 1.JPGbs 2.JPGss 1.JPGss 2.JPG
As you can see the console top is being used as a bench at the moment LoL

rocket

Those switch blocks look really good, I'm really hyped to see how this evolves. Well done.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

type55tardis

Thanks,Rocket there will be a fair bit of filling and sanding on them today ,The console motor assembly is now housed in the console body along with the power supplies this will leave more space in the upper console for switches and wiring looms etc I`m going to use celations ingenious idea for creating the light lenses ,I have purchased a compass cutter to allow me to cut circular plastic discs ,each panel will have its own wiring loom so that if I need to carry out a repair only the panel concerned needs to be taken out. and can be connected to an external power supply on the bench,the raise lower assembly for the column has now got a square flat plate on it which means I can change the inner workings of the central column in a couple of minutes