Apr 25, 2024, 11:06 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Build

Started by copernicus, Jun 21, 2011, 01:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

copernicus

Jun 21, 2011, 01:21 pm Last Edit: Aug 18, 2012, 10:50 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all, been a long time fan of Dr Who since started back in 63 and have always wanted a Tardis. Now that I am semi retired I have decided to build one. I like the Tennant era tardis design but with a slight difference. I prefer the corner posts to have more detailing than just the square look so I have added the 3/4 dowel strips that give it that look. So far I have built the four corner posts and the base (blimey it's heavy) not taken any pictures yet but will add them when I get time. The tardis is going to sit in the corner of my back garden so it will have to be well preserved and waterproofed. I am using mainly pine and plywood for the build with a 1'' thick mfd inner floor.

geminitimelord

Welcome, nice to see another TARDIS Build and ANOTHER Garden placement. I get much enjoyment watching my TARDIS just sit there.

Good luck and make sure you get a good Build Diary on here.

b4dw0lf

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jun 21, 2011, 02:27 pm
Welcome, nice to see another TARDIS Build and ANOTHER Garden placement. I get much enjoyment watching my TARDIS just sit there.

Good luck and make sure you get a good Build Diary on here.

Im in total agreement, I get a lot of pleasure just looking out my window and seeing a TARDIS just sitting there....  LOVE IT

Good Luck with your build, I look forward to watching its progress
Paul Bradford
Tech Manager, Ghost Hunters International (GHI),
SyFy Channel, USA.
http://www.syfy.com/ghi

http://facebook.com/GHIPaul
http://twitter.com/GHIPaul

copernicus

Sorry still no decent pics, have now bought the ply for the three walls and doors, cut out the window openings and am now going to buy the wood to form the framework. Budget a bit tight at the moment as I have a (sons) wedding to pay for next month.

copernicus

Quick question or two, where or where can I get a lense for the light and what thickness wood would you advise for the wall/door framework ? I was thinking 3/4 s of an inch.

Scarfwearer

Scarfwearer

Actually the wood choices board probably won't help much with the thickness - it really depends how tough you want it to be. Some people use 1/4" ply for the panels, which with the stiles makes for a pretty strong wall. I used 1/2" which is plenty, and also rather heavy... 3/4" would be virtually indestructible.... but that much heavier. Just for reference, my box built with 1/2" plywood is nearly 1/4 ton.

Crispin

copernicus

I'm using 7mm ply for the walls, what I am after is the thickness of the wood used to define the panelling on the walls and doors. i was thinking that 3/4'' would be about right. Thanks for the other tips.

Scarfwearer

Oh ok - it depends on what style of build you're doing, but ¾" is pretty typical.

Crispin

copernicus

OK bought the wood for all the panelling bits on the walls, went for 3/4'' so along with my 9mm ply I figure that should be strong enough. Main problem I am finding, is that places like B&Q sell their pre cut wood in a limited range of sizes. For example on of the measurments I am using calls for 4 1/8'' wide wood. Now the nearest B&Q sell is 4'' or 5 3/4'' !  Likewise I need some 3 1/2'' but again I can either get 3'' or 4''. Never mind I will work around it. Hope to post some pics soon.

superrichi1a

Good luck with your build. I always like to see a Tennant build get started, in some ways I regret I changed mine to a Smith (well, I had reasons for doing that, but, yeah).
Did you track down a lamp OK?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

copernicus

superrichi1a

That'd be a nice kind of replica frensel, but the Tennant doesn'thave a frensel lens, just a traditional lamp housing.
Search "Ronda Lantern", I haven't got the link to hand but that is pretty close to what you need, and, unlike with a frensel, you don't have to bother with a housing (unless you particularly like the frensel, of course?).
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

merry

futuredoctor

I've just got the same lamp that PMC is using for his build from qvsdirect.com  for about £35+delivery.
It's called a "new haven" made by "massive". It does need a bit of modification but looks great.

http://www.qvsdirect.com/New-Haven-60W-Lantern-Outdoor-Wall-Light-Rustic-pr-23082.html