News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mirror Matcher

Started by davidnagel, Aug 30, 2011, 11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Aug 30, 2011, 11:37 pm Last Edit: Sep 03, 2011, 05:21 pm by davidnagel
Hello readers

Its about time I committed a proper thread to this forum, given I've only ever been a lurker and irregular poster, so I'm diving head first into the gadget build section - so do excuse the infrequency of updates here, life tends to be very busy as I'm sure most of you will know.

I half started a sort of build diary over at the dw_cosplay livejournal but given that it isnt a true thread, I thought something like this is better suited here, given the item in question is a gadget from the TARDIS! Or at least a gadget given to our favourite Time Lord by his three-headed aunt... anyway!  This prop intrigued me from the offset in 2010 and ever since I've been keen to reproduce it somehow and now I have finally started doing so.

d11s01e10_wallpaper_07_800x450.jpg
Here is the prop in action - Matt Smith sold separately.

Earlier in the year, I did this brainstorm of the various components and some I have since been fortunate enough to be advised by other forum goers. Some items I have acquired already, particularly the brass clamps and the green tubing.

th_MirrorMatcher_ideaboard.jpg
Click for bigger picture

The prop's builder, Nick Robatto had been very helpful in advising on particular measurements (and IDs for addons) so I went about drawing up a schematic for the main body of the prop.  Even against Smith it is particularly small and most addons tend to be misleading in their proportion but I *think* I've got a plan that looks fairly correct...

DSC00325.jpg
Drawing up and cutting out foam board

DSC00333.jpg
DSC00329.jpg
All pieces cut to size and layered together

Next step... glue pieces together and poly fill to make smooth...
Regards
David

davidnagel

Next day, with the layers glued together (I ran out of UHU so had to pop out for more!!) I can finally start plastering it up.

Unfortunately, because I'm an idiot, I didn't make the slanted layers into steps (so I'd use less polyfill) so I've had to start filling in most of the gap with hot glue (only thing I had to hand).

DSC00343.jpg

With the glue dry, it was time for the polyfilling. I did consider bar body filler but worried that was too expensive, so went to Homebase and had a look at their wall filler, I found a fine detail filler in a squeezable tube that could work. Back at home I slapped it on...

DSC00344.jpg

And found that I hadn't quite filled out the gaps with glue enough so I had large areas of polyfill - this will take some time to dry!

DSC00345.jpg

No picture for the next day (today) but the polyfill has dried rather nicely. Wondering whether I should sand down to apply another layer or just add it on top (any ideas?) and as soon as its all covered, sanding back begin and the first coat of primer...
Regards
David

superrichi1a

It's always best to sand down a filler before adding another layer. This will help adhesion for the two layers of filler, and more importantly, when you sand down you will almost certainly find air bubbles and areas the filler has not covered, that themselves will need filling.

I'm greatly enjoying this build diary. It's not often you see more unique prop builds like this, and it's always interesting to see how they turn out (yes, I'm looking at you Oblivion with that wonderful McGann screwdriver that we haven't seen much of recently ;)).
Best of luck!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

celation

Sep 04, 2011, 09:19 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2011, 09:36 pm by celation
I might be completely wrong, but the piping on it looks remarkably like that found on a hookah/shisha pipe:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jade-Green-KYL-Shisha-Hose-Hookah-Sheesha-/280721574342

Not sure of the scale - I'm not particularly familiar with these things - but it does seem to have the cloth texture...

EDIT: Or possibly a gas mask hose. Some of these seem to be leather or cloth coated.

celation

Sep 04, 2011, 10:03 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2011, 10:04 pm by celation
Or possibly a vintage scuba regulator - twin hose?

Hmm. Spent the last half hour on Ebay searching. This stuff can get obsessive...

Looking great so far, BTW!

davidnagel

Thanks chaps.

After sanding down, the second layer has gone on and since its alittle thick still and wet I will be waiting till tomorrow to sand down and hopefully (if more filling isn't required) I will put the primer on.

As for the hose piping, I've always thought it was scott aviation hosing but as yet have not found anything close enough. Instead I have found some other type of aviation mask hose that I will be using - its green as well which is a bonus!
Regards
David

davidnagel

Well I sanded it down for another layer, I did think that was the best next step but for a second while typing I had that idiot moment. Anyway, here it is another another sand..

IMG_0015.jpg

I had contemplated another layer but I didn't want to make this project drag out longer, plus my sanding ability isn't great. Its still alittle rough but I'm hoping the fibreglass process makes the really little imperfections disappear!! So I'm just gonna paint it till I can pop by the workshop.

DSC00347.jpg

And there it is - bit rough round the edges - still. I'll see what the workshop guys think before I bother putting more filler on it.

On a side note, in my quest to work out the best way of constructing these:
mirrormatcher_mysteriouscomponent.png

I found two of these in Poundland.:
IMG_0012.jpg

They DID look close enough to me but on reflection the real prop's LEDs are closer together but I wanted to get something together that was 1) pre-wired and 2) shelf-bought. I'll be only taking out the LED unit and will construct the rest of the surround myself. So! Off with its case!

IMG_0014.jpg

I'll throw the black bit (the holdings for 3x AAA batteries) and stick the unit into some form of cylinder before wrapping with a bigger brass clamp.

Next Time... Fibreglass!! (unless some kind soul wants to do it for me! ;))
Regards
David

Kingpin

The LEDs may also be larger as well, in order to give a better spread of light.  It's defiitely worth picking Nick Robatto's brain about that.

the mister

you genius! this is gonna be rad

davidnagel

Quote from: the mister on Mar 27, 2012, 04:26 am
you genius! this is gonna be rad

Ha! Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I've not touched the project since the last pictures, I gave up when I couldn't afford to fibreglass the main body. I might try vacuum forming just to get a copy of the body.

I hope to pick up again when I can.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Well, this project is well over a year old now! And I'm still no where near completion, how disappointing. I put most blame on my recent house moves, fortunately where I am now I have a garage to store this junk/workshop and can begin on these again, if only the enthusiasm was back.

I have various parts for the build and continue to source others consciously when wondering around my town. Finding the old style bike handles has been most difficult in fact!

Watch this space, more one day, yes... one day.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Ha! Another year goes by, but this project is not completely out of my mind.

Member, Senseidale, was very kind and sent me two brass handles which will be perfect (enough for me) to use for the right-hand brass handle seen on this prop, thanks man!
Regards
David

Senseidale

Your are most welcome I will keep my eyes peeled for anything else I can get my hand on that might be useful.
Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

the mister

I'm still looking forward to the completion of this