Apr 19, 2024, 10:02 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jon Pertwee sonic reference

Started by greatwazoo42, Sep 26, 2011, 08:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwazoo42

Sep 26, 2011, 08:31 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 03:31 pm by Scarfwearer
Boy did they want to take advantage of technicolor back in the early 1970's.

dw_com_01b.jpg
dw_com_01.jpg
d3-3p-c122.jpg

Kingpin

Call me crazy, but I think the sloped part at the top (above that red ring) is actually white, rather than bare metal... it looks too light to be the same base metal when compared to the grip section.

rocket

It certainly does look white. I wonder if Rassilon1 has seen that, he might want to take it into consideration for his build.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

timerotor

although it looks white, it's just metal with a bright white reflection.
MBH
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

galacticprobe

Sep 28, 2011, 06:17 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 06:17 am by galacticprobe
I think Timerotor is right about the color. I remember seeing this prop when it was up for auction at Bonham's a little over a year ago. It was thought to have been lost, but it was actually found in the pocket of one of Jon Pertwee's smoking jacket costumes that was being auctioned. (They auctioned the sonic and jacket as one lot, referring to the sonic as a bonus for the lucky winner.)

There were some good photos of it, and that conical top part was most definitely the same silvery color as the main body. (And even after all that time the "barber shop" yellow with black stripes section still looked great.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type40plus

I'm new here so forgive if I get this wrong but I came across some info a long time ago saying that the 3rd Doctors screw driver was based on the one Alan Tracy used in the film 'Thunderbirds are Go'
I don't have any photos but at the time they were very similar. As we know the BBC did acquire a lot of props and models from the Anderson studios when they closed down, if this has been mentioned before then I apologise for repeating it.

Motocrucian

Aug 10, 2019, 09:29 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2019, 09:31 am by Motocrucian

Quote from: type40plus on Aug 10, 2019, 07:23 am
I'm new here so forgive if I get this wrong but I came across some info a long time ago saying that the 3rd Doctors screw driver was based on the one Alan Tracy used in the film 'Thunderbirds are Go'
I don't have any photos but at the time they were very similar. As we know the BBC did acquire a lot of props and models from the Anderson studios when they closed down, if this has been mentioned before then I apologise for repeating it.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9854.0

There's a tonne of info buried here, it's pretty amazing.

type40plus

Thanks for that pointer.
The article is fantastic especially for anyone wanting to make one.

karsthotep

That is all terrasolo's research there.  He is the one that created that compiled history and he is a member here. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"