News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The 2 day and $23 Tardis

Started by museumdave, Apr 01, 2013, 04:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Apr 01, 2013, 04:47 am Last Edit: Apr 20, 2013, 03:02 am by museumdave
Hello all.
I have long been impressed by the quality of craftsmanship on display within these pages of this site. Having said that I feel more than a little sheepish about sharing this, but it is what it is!

This project started a short 2 days ago and rather caught me off guard.

It all began as our youngest daughter and I were surfing a fun 'geeky' web site. They have for sale a fabric 'tardis' tent. NOW I should explain that of our kids the youngest is NOT the Doctor who fan, but she looked at this $100 bit of printed fabric and pipe and said that it looked like it could be a lot of fun. She is a very artistic person and I am - well underemployed (and to be honest cheap) and I said that I thought it might be more fun to make our own....

Sooooooo

the following day saw us borrow my fathers pick up truck and go by the local appliance store. They were incredible friendly and helpful. They took us out back and said to help our selves. So she and I picked out a big refrigerator box that is pretty much square. Plus we found some great corner covers, some are just plain cardboard at a right angle, some are more swoopy and moulded. We also picked up a couple of smaller box ends and one great little box.

After getting them home and over the fence (too big for the gate) into our back yard work space we ran out and purchased some poster paint.  A big bucket of blue + a small one of white and black for a total of $23.72.

box1.jpgbox2.jpg

I cut the plain corner braces as a base. Used a jig saw to do some quick 45% to miter the base- Basically to have a small flange at the bottom of the box and to reinforce everything.

I cut the doors in and added the fancy corner covers to be like the corner posts of a police box.

box3.jpgbox4.jpg

I held the small long box above the door with a couple of screws- this will be the top sign box. One of the smaller box ends seems to work well as a step up roof.

We then broke into the paint and our two daughters and I just went to town- everybody was blue by the end- looked like we were all back from a smurf hunt or something.box5.jpgbox6.jpgbox7.jpg

After the paint was most of the way dry we then popped open the end and squished the box in through the back door... sadly the bottom section that had held the box together under the door tore during this little move- oh well it is just a cardboard box.

So we drafted on the door panels and windows.  I cut out the window pains with my pocket knife. We printed off a 2005 style door sign and distressed it with a silver marking pen.box8.jpgbox9.jpgbox10.jpg

We pasted on the door sign. Added a handle left over from part of my console + a metal disc that I had laying about.  I found a empty peanut butter jar that I have popped on top as the lamp.

Here is Mrs MuseumDave (what a good sport) checking it all out

For day 2 we will paint on some highlights and shadows to give a 3D impression to the panels and we will do the top signs.  We may also duct tap some paper over the windows to let light through.  But I have been told it might be more fun to just be able to see through the windows...

More after day two.

Thanks for looking
Cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Apr 01, 2013, 10:38 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2013, 10:41 pm by galacticprobe
Coming from ONE refrigerator box and a few corner bits? :o That's amazing! I can't wait to see her when she's completed!

M.D., you astonish me yet again!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Apr 02, 2013, 01:30 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 01:34 am by museumdave
Hello All,

Thanks for your comment Dino. You are too kind. Just having some fun with some cardboard that's all. But your enthusiasm is truly appreciated!

So last night after the kids were in bed I drew on the panels with a sharpie.
Today I cut the long box we were using as a top box in 2 so now we have 2 of them (half as think)

The windows were mostly backed with paper. We did leave some panes free so you can still peek in or out. and we printed off a couple of top signs....

our youngest- B. and I mixed some paint - some darker blue and some lighter blue and did some details.

I would still like something for a top sign on the other sides, but I think we can call this done... for now.

It was a fun quick family project that was paced fairly well to the attention span of a 9 year old.

Again thanks for looking and the support.

M.D.box day2-1a.jpgbox day2-1.jpgbox day2-2.jpgbox day2-3.jpg
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

museumdave

Apr 02, 2013, 03:30 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 03:32 am by museumdave
Hey all,

Just thought I would post a couple of snaps with better lighting.

Thanks for looking

Cheers
M.D.the box.jpgthe box2.jpg

notard4u

I like your concept and originality a LOT!! very nicely done as completed.
I've been toying with the idea of doing a Tardis in cardboard for some time now--it's a very
plastic medium--no complicated tools necessary--just a good sharp knife, some glue, tape
and paint. I've been taking pix of my build so far..and you have inspired me to put mine
on here too! Thanks  ;)  Nice job!!

tony farrell

Cool prop and, by the way, I love your scarf!!
Tony

DoctorWho8

Apr 02, 2013, 06:49 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 08:01 pm by Scarfwearer
Hooray! My box has a cousin! http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=455
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

museumdave

Apr 04, 2013, 06:20 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2013, 06:29 pm by museumdave
Parenthood- I am doing it oddly

Hello All,
and thanks for the positive comments.
Just thought I would share a couple of snaps of the continued fun with or refrigerator cool tardis. The kids were interested in playing dress up- and I never did grow up, so here we went.

just some silliness. thanks for looking

M.D.

dress up2.jpgdress up4.jpgdress up1.jpg

deck5

I think this is great.  You all look to be having a huge amount of fun with a cardboard box. :)