Apr 19, 2024, 10:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

console room inspired office

Started by atomicgraph, Jan 27, 2009, 03:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

Jan 27, 2009, 03:38 am Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:25 pm by Scarfwearer
 hi all, i've decided to make my work office into a tardis console room, with the economy the way it is i need all the help i can get, to make my business "stand out". i'm still in the early planning stages so please bare with me. my plan is to build out the walls and eventually build a custom console, work station for my computer , printer and scanner. but first i want to do he interior. i'm still working on concepts and if any one has suggestions/ design tips they are more than welcome in fact they are needed!

the space i'm working with is about 13 feet wide and 20 feet long.  the cieling is about 95 inches high (kinda low, but i'm gonna have to make use of what i have) and it looks like this
myofficeqe9.th.jpg

here is my concept (again any design cues that should be changed or added please feel free to say, i want this to be mind blowing!)
officeconsoleroomub9.th.jpg

my plan is to frame everything out but i'm not entirely sure what i should use to cover it... drywall is pretty cheap and thats what i'm thinking of using, with my columns made out of wood. as far as color schemes i'm leaning towards the baker era grey walls with the columns being painted a "color" or stained to give it a "classier" feel. eventually, when i build my console i want the time rotor column to tie into the ceiling on the center roundel. my over all goal is to inspire creativity when you walk in, and dr who has always given me insperation.
this will no doubt be a long project but i want it be perfect or as close to perfect as i can get it
thanks in advance

emil

dustyfro

May 10, 2009, 11:50 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 07:00 pm by scarfwearer
That looks like it will be a fun place to work!  What is your business?
x Hannah

niktob

Jan 27, 2009, 03:47 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:24 pm by scarfwearer
I love the idea and look forward to seeing your progress.  One suggestion I have is from another office area I visited once.  They had the two side walls fully mirrored, so it looked like the room went on forever in opposite directions.  I thought that had a certain "TARDISy" feel :-)

Good luck,
John

geminitimelord

Jan 27, 2009, 05:02 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:24 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: johnbotkin board=discussion thread=1063 post=19365 time=1233028053I love the idea and look forward to seeing your progress.  One suggestion I have is from another office area I visited once.  They had the two side walls fully mirrored, so it looked like the room went on forever in opposite directions.  I thought that had a certain "TARDISy" feel :-)

Good luck,
John

That would look cool!

the_temporal_mechanic

Jan 27, 2009, 01:56 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:24 pm by scarfwearer
Emil!
I love the idea of this!  I love the concept sketch especially.  Do you have plans to recess lighting behind some of the built out areas?  That would be really great to hide some fluorescent ballasts behind those beam type projections that come into the room.  As far as what to cover it with, drywall seems like a good option to me.  You can mud all of the joints to get a really smooth finish at least.   Wonderful concept!

atomicgraph

Jan 27, 2009, 10:13 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:25 pm by scarfwearer
thanks everyone,
john using a mirror never occurred to me but it sounds interesting i'll play around with the idea, it would look pretty cool though.

jaren i do plan on putting lights behind the panels to light the roundels on the top and bottom. i'm a little concerned because i've tripped the breaker in that room on a few occasions, if that happened wile i was in the middle of computer work ..... well i don't even want to think about that. obviously i've got a lot of kinks to work out but i'm only in the planning stages right now. thanks again for the suggestions

atomicgraph

Nov 04, 2011, 02:41 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2011, 02:43 am by atomicgraph
well i've been playing with the idea for a long time but yesterday i stared my big project. i'm starting out with the console which i'll also use as a desk. so it's going to be a custom job. my idea was to get one of those old satellite dishes to make the console out of. i've been scoping out peoples yards while driving and actually there's a lot of them out there... knocking on their door and asking about it, with out coming across as a lunatic, is the key. well any way one fell into my lap the people even took it down and delivered it to me they were renovating their house and about to take it to the dump, super nice people.
dish.jpg
my little girl was so excited
dish cleaning.jpg
first thing to do was to clean it up, a little bit of bleach and a little bit of pressure  washing.
clean dish.jpg
here it is all cleaned up and drying over night, its got a six foot diameter and its about one foot deep.
set up 01.jpg
ok so here's my rough set up for the console... just to get a idea of what i'm working with. the barrels are made out of this thick paper material and is also what the shoulders on my dalek are made of.... what i'm planing is to first make a fiber glass cast of the dish to use as the top of the console. i'll also use the top barrel as a mold for a fiber glass column. these pieces won't be clear but i hope to keep them translucent and be lighted from under neath. i have some coloring agents to mix into the resin so it should come out tinted (blue, red green yellow, i haven't decided yet).
colum mold.jpg
first up was to seal the barrel, i used a concrete two part epoxy sealer. i gave it a good coating to seal up the pores in the material
100_3306.JPG
i did a section of the dish too. i plan on using just one section of the dish to make the casts from. it'll be much easier to lay up the fiber glass this way. next up is to wax them up with a release agent... the barrel is a one time use mold cause i'm gonna need to cut it off the fiber glass part to separate it. i'm not to worried about the surface finish of the parts, because texture seems to be in these days.
now i need some concept designs and plans....

greatwazoo42

Best of luck with this.  It could turn out awesome!

DoctorWho8

Say, if you are casting a copy of the dish, do another set for the underside.  Then you'd have something like the Rani console or a Flying Saucer!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

atomicgraph

Yea I plan on having the bottom section to, I may use the dish or maybe a casting... Depends on how much fiber glass it's gonna take. I only plan on using one layer so it'll be kinda transparent and hopefully won't use to much material. If I am able to make a casting for the both
I'll use the dish on the ceiling where the Roter column joins

atomicgraph

Nov 09, 2011, 08:14 pm #10 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 08:16 pm by atomicgraph
hello all, not much of an up date here mostly just playing around with some dimensions.
bottom set up.jpg
the way it is now the lip of the dish sits at 38 inches from the ground which is to high so i'm gonna cut the barrel down to 20 inches tall bringing the lip of the dish down to 30 inches which also seems standard height for a desk.
top.jpg
i took the section i'm gonna make the casts from and set it up on top to get more measurements, and it resembles the 2005 console so i guess that'll be my main "influence" for the build.
console-desk.jpg
once i got some measurements i drew up a rough idea of what i want.... nothing is set in stone and seeing a scale image of it i'm thinking my rotor column may be a little wide at 19 inches. then i was on to waxing up the barrel and the section of the dish with a release wax 8 coats so far, then a coating of pva mould release just to ensure everything comes apart.

greatwazoo42

That would rule.  What sort of lighting are you planning?

atomicgraph

I was thinking of using florescent lighting the come in quite a wide range of styles.

greatwazoo42

Maybe a trio of lightning tubes in the central column?  They're not as expensive as they used to be.

atomicgraph

Jan 08, 2012, 04:57 pm #14 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012, 04:58 pm by atomicgraph
hello everyone! now that the holidays are behind us i had a weekend to do a little bit of work on the console.
mould.jpg
first thing i did was prep a section of the dish to use as a mould. i just bolted on some ply wood strips to the edge of the dish section
pre cutting the matting.jpg
then i cut up the matting to fit roughly in the dish. the matting came in 8 square feet sheets (it doesn't go very far, one pack doesn't even do one full section).
mould release agent.jpg
this is the most important part. its gotta release i coated the dish with 6 coats of release wax, then a coating of pva mould release.
mould release column.jpg
same thing with my rotor column, six coats off wax one coating of pva.
dish lay up.jpg
then i did the lay up i mixed up two pints of resin. i added a blue tinter to the resin, mixed, then added the hardener. time column lay up.jpg
then i did the lay up in the rotor column. i started the lay up at about 1:00 yesterday after noon and it was still tacky at 8:00 that evening. i let it sit over night and this morning it was still a little tacky but i did the pull on the dish section.
part 1.jpg
part 2.jpg
so here is my part. its still very tacky on the corners, even after it set over night??? i'm letting it sit outside in the sun today that should cure it up a little more. i didn't do the pull on the rotor column because of how tacky that still is, i'll give it a try later on this afternoon (i hope).
just another 7 more dish sections and i'll start the assembly