Apr 24, 2024, 07:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Series 5 TARDIS

Started by dw_1200, Mar 13, 2017, 07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dw_1200

Mar 13, 2017, 07:09 pm Last Edit: Apr 08, 2020, 02:20 pm by dw_1200
I recently came up with idea of making the 2010 Tardis as well.

So, here's the model, all I did was change the 2005 box a bit. Textures coming soon!

untitled3.png
untitled4.png
untitled2.png
untitled.png

LMC97

Mar 13, 2017, 07:15 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 07:16 pm by LMC97
I believe you did a good job with the lamp. The rest of the box also looks like it matches the original 2010 box . So just like what I said about your 2005 box, what you currently have looks really accurate.

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

dw_1200

Mar 13, 2017, 07:27 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 07:28 pm by dw_1200
Thank you, LMC ;)

Well, this is how does the lamp look like. Its not perfect, some details missing, top cap is a bit low-poly, but this is just because I'm making it for a game
1.png2.png

dw_1200

Mar 15, 2017, 10:47 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2019, 02:07 pm by dw_1200
As I promised - almost fully textured Tardis.

2010Tardis2.png2010Tardis1.png

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2017, 07:25 am #4 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 07:25 am by galacticprobe
She looks like a real, solid object! That's an outstanding model, dw_1200. Are you going for the Series 6-7a look? I'm only asking because the St. John Ambulance logo has that style look to it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dw_1200

Thank you, Dino ;D
Hmmm, I'll think about it. Are there any other differences, except the St.John logo, door sign and the top lamp?

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2017, 04:18 am #6 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 04:19 am by galacticprobe
The really noticeable differences between the Series 5 and the Series 6-7a TARDIS are mostly in the Phone Panel sign and the St. John logo. The Phone Panel sign changed from having raised lettering that was only painted black on the surface so light shone through around the sides of the lettering, to having solid black raised lettering that was glued in place (much like the Promo TARDIS).

The St. John logo lost the outer black border, the inner black disc got smaller in diameter making the white circle thicker (allowing for larger lettering), and the cross at the bottom got very thick. Oh, and the animals in between the arrowheads weren't as defined. (See the reference here for more details on the logos: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6014.0.)

The lamp stayed the same. Other subtle changes were in thicknesses of the corner posts, maybe a few other dimensions like that, but I haven't studied those in any detail. Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff (a.k.a. DoctorWho8) is the one that can give more details on the overall dimensions that changed between the Series.

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dw_1200

Mar 17, 2017, 11:35 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 11:39 am by dw_1200
Okay, thanks again)
Here's a small comparison. I hope i get it right and the phone sign lights up properly
comparison.jpg

I also noticed, that in the series 7a the lamp has changed, so i'm gonna make this one as well
Series7alamp.jpg

dw_1200

Feb 27, 2019, 04:35 pm #8 Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:44 am by Vyacheslav Talanov
Oh my... has it really been 2 years since the last update? :o

I've been working on this box recently, so I thought I'd just pop here and post something.
I used the official BBC plans from the Doctor Who Experience to model the box and made sure that it has correct dimensions using the photogrammetry method.

Here's my model put on top of the real box:

Right Comp.jpg
Right 2 Comp.jpg
Front Comp.jpg
Three Quarter Comp.jpg

While making this model, I noticed that the side walls seem to bulge out in the middle.

Note.png

Series 5 TARDIS Plans

tony farrell

Excellent work Slava! Thank you for sharing.

I'm sure that fans of this version of the Tardis would appreciate a set of plans derived from your 'wire frame'/photogrammetric overlays. I'm also sure that your plans - matching so closely the photos as they do - would make a very welcome addition to the reference section of Tardis Builders!

Thanks again.

T

P.S., now that I've completed my involvement with the up-coming Dr Who Annual, I'd very much welcome the opportunity of working with you again. To this end, you may have noticed that I have taking the liberty of adding several very large (and high quality) photos of the Altered Brachacki Box to your Dropbox Folder.

P.P.S., I hope that your University course is progressing well!

dw_1200

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 27, 2019, 05:54 pm
Excellent work Slava! Thank you for sharing.

I'm sure that fans of this version of the Tardis would appreciate a set of plans derived from your 'wire frame'/photogrammetric overlays. I'm also sure that your plans - matching so closely the photos as they do - would make a very welcome addition to the reference section of Tardis Builders!

Thanks again.

T

P.S., now that I've completed my involvement with the up-coming Dr Who Annual, I'd very much welcome the opportunity of working with you again. To this end, you may have noticed that I have taking the liberty of adding several very large (and high quality) photos of the Altered Brachacki Box to your Dropbox Folder.

Thank you very much :D Really can't wait to complete this thing.
And yes, I'd love to work with you again too. I haven't touched the Brachacki box since ~June I think... Would be great to finally finish it.
Glad to hear that you've completed your fantastic artworks. Looking forward to the Annual, I may even get myself a digital version (if there'll be such option)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 27, 2019, 05:54 pm
P.P.S., I hope that your University course is progressing well!

Yep, pretty well I should say. One last year and it's finally over~

dw_1200

Jan 26, 2020, 06:51 pm #11 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2020, 10:49 pm by dw_1200
Quick render of the lamp. Not entirely convinced with the textures, but that's not the point now. I really enjoyed putting all those imperfections, such as slightly crooked lamp holders, misplaced bolts and misaligned top cap.

untitled.jpg

dw_1200

Mar 23, 2020, 09:43 pm #12 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 09:43 pm by dw_1200
I'm slowly making progress on this thing again.
I made a physically based glass shader for both tinted and frosted glass. What that means is that I don't have to change the glass settings everytime - it just works in every environment like a real glass would do. The brightness is controlled by emission panels, imitating lighting boxes used on a real prop.

1 - black.jpg
2 - barely lit up.jpg
3 - mid blue.jpg
4 - bright.jpg
5 - bright night.jpg

dw_1200

Quick update - I've been working on a wood material for the last two days.

Smith boxes had distinctive wood grain. And because some parts of wood are more reflective and some parts are less reflective, we also get this interesting 'inversion' effect:

5x04. The Time of Angels 20.jpg

I carefully studied the pictures of the box and tried to replicate this effect.

door.jpg

I'm really happy with the result, especially after so many trials and errors. Some textures are repeating because it's just a rough test, but I hope to finish it soon.
And of course add some dust and scratches to add more realism.

kutan66

That does look very much like an oak grain.   Especially if you get an electric drill with brass wire brush and 'comb' the grain.     Picks out the softer grain and leaves the harder.. er.. grain!